Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Romanian Side-Folder AK Build

I am getting ready to build my first AK. Would have done it sooner, but I kept putting it off, and then kits kinda' dried up... Anyhoo, a few relatively cheap kits are available now, so I'm going for a budget build.
I ordered one of the $120 Romy M90 sidefolder kits from Centerfire, with no barrel. I found a Romy barrel somewhere else, a Tapco flat and rivet set at another place, and some magazines at yet another place. The only thing that has arrived so far is the kit, and it looks good. I will post pics soon.
I cleaned the kit in gasoline today to remove the cosmoline.
Hopefully the other parts will show up early next week, and I can get started in earnest.

Update: I got my barrel from ak-47s.com. It was $100 plus $13.something shipping. Not cheap, but it is the same price as the new US barrels. I was willing to pay that because it has a chrome-plated bore and chamber, which the US-made ones do not. It has a perfect, like-new bore, so I am happy with it. Hopefully it won't be too much trouble to get the headspace right.

I used a jig, ball pein hammer, and vise to bend the flat. A friend has the jig and let me borrow it. I plan to build my own jig using an ingenious design I saw that allows use of either a press or hammer and anvil; but I am glad I used the simple "beat it over a jig with a hammer" method to give my first AK build that certain Khyber Pass look.

Speaking of the Khyber Pass look, it is ugly after I heat-treated it. I couldn't quickly find my welding goggles, so I took that as a good excuse to pay a visit to the Harbor Freight store and pick up a new one. The goggles seemed awfully dark, and I discovered later that they had #10 filters in them, which are intended for arc welding and are too dark for use with a gas torch. Bottom line, I heated the holes 'til I could see the glow, at which point they were too hot and starting to become malformed. I'm gonna use this receiver anyway; I am naming it "Mal" for all the ugly points and in honor of Mal Reynolds, who always had ugly guns.

No comments:

Post a Comment